Complete people, leadership and change management solutions for school councils, education professionals and school communities.
School communities are one of the most complex and demanding yet caring professional environments. To have an impact on students that is inspiring and lifelong, everyone on the team needs to be at their best. It is the combined effort of each individual that has the power to make anything possible – or not.
With first-hand experience in setting up the people function in schools, we understand the challenges, frustrations and opportunities that often arise. Importantly, we also understand how to really help you, no matter what your current level of HR maturity is.
We firmly believe that when you genuinely value your people and you have the right HR expertise to translate that into the right HR framework and culture, so many things that can seem otherwise difficult start to gather momentum. Similarly, schools that have their HR foundation right know that things do go wrong sometimes – that’s life. When they do, they have all of the tools and knowledge they need to navigate their way through the noise and respond effectively.
Instead of HR being about compliance, policies and fear of issues, we focus on all of the ways you can get it right as an employer. Wouldn’t you rather be enjoying the benefit of getting the best from your people than being motivated by fear and worry about breaches and employee action?
With the busy daily life in a school, it can be hard to look above the operational requirements and deep dive into strategy. But, deep diving is critical to identify all the unspoken things that dictate how things actually get done, and that can shift the dial.
Don’t worry – we get it. That’s why we have developed our solutions just for schools. After defining your current state, the key drivers and your future state, we help you implement and embed the practices and strategies that can bring out the best in your people at all levels within the school community. Our solutions are flexible and scalable from one person, a department or a whole community.
If you have a need or idea that sits outside of our current solutions, we’d love to talk to you about it. One of the beautiful things about being a boutique business is that we are not limited. In fact, we love the opportunity to be creative in meeting your needs.
School Council – Vision, Strategic Planning and ‘Licence to Lead’
We lead the journey to best practice school council leadership – beyond the operational to vision and strategy.
- We recruit council members, lead your vision and strategic planning, facilitate organisational reviews and restructures, and enhance the leadership effectiveness and cohesiveness of your council.
- We have recruited many of the same type of individuals on your council into positions in the business world. We recognise that being a strong leader isn’t a given, irrespective of how knowledgeable a person is or how highly they are regarded in their field of expertise. Just like in the corporate world, school council members need subject matter expertise plus they need the right leadership style and approach, and importantly the right motivation.
- We can help the council to embrace their role in operating collectively in a way that best creates value and drives the vision of the school – and in doing so, model the best practice and values that they expect from the Principal and Executive team. We help them avoid getting caught up in the day-to-day issues.
- We can offer the fresh eyes juxtaposed with understanding of the school environment and relevant expertise to lead your council through a strategic review of vision, values, charter and strategy.
Investment: Fixed fee based on scope.
Investigation, Issue Management and Audit
We advise on, investigate and manage issues promptly, properly and discretely.
- Investigation and management of board and stakeholder complaints and disputes (including sexual harassment, theft, discrimination, bullying, unfair dismissal, unsatisfactory conduct, and others).
- Advice and advocacy on complex, high-risk and/or sensitive issues, including Fair Work Representation.
- Independent review of internal investigations and outcomes.
- We provide valuable insights and recommendations on your current people strategy, programs and practices, through a basic or deep dive audit review.
Investment: Hourly rate or fixed fee for audit based on scope.
HRaaS (HR as a Service)
Outsourcing all of your day-to-day HR needs to us with ‘HR as a Service’. This can include one of our HR Executives joining your Leadership team on a part time basis.
Implementation of HR FundamenTOOLS including:
- Templates (employment contracts, position descriptions, annual performance plan)
- Employee communications and process/ workflow efficiency
- Employment Policies and Procedures Manual
On Call Advisory (phone and email):
- IR and award interpretation advice
- Day-to-day issues coaching
- Redundancy and outplacement support
- HR programs advice
On Your Team in Your School:
- Flexible arrangements that meet your requirements
Investment: Monthly access fee
Strategic HR Solutions
We design and help implement your people strategy to align with your school vision, values and strategic plan.
- Organisation review, redesign and restructure
- HR strategy planning and development
- Change management and transformation
- Culture, engagement and branding strategy
- Onboarding programs
- Succession and workforce planning programs
- Leadership Development (Executive, Line Manager and Emerging Leaders)
- Capability framework and organisation development programs
Investment: Quote and fixed price
The term ‘coaching’ is used to describe many activities. When we talk about it, we mean the type that transforms people and cultures.
- We offer individual and leadership team coaching programs that can meet differing needs – from personal growth and achieving behavioural change, to development of collective leadership capability.
- We have seen the impact that implementing a coaching program for a leadership team can have on transforming a culture. It can change from a culture where people get distracted by and sweat the small stuff to an open, constructive culture where peers actively welcome each other into their classroom. Just imagine performance planning being about genuine growth and development, and not just what’s not working?
Investment: Fee per program
We’ll get it right from beginning to end, just like we’re hiring for our own business.
- Our network in education is extensive, so our ability to find the right match for your school is unparalleled.
- We approach each placement process with a perfect blend of science, best practice and deep human resources expertise.
- All members of our specialist recruitment team are HR professionals with experience across the HR function and not just recruitment. Therefore, you can rely on us to add value and insights at all stages.
Investment: Engagement and Success Fee
As We See It: Lifecycle and Roles of HR
The Role of HR in a School
Remember when HR was called ‘personnel’? Times have changed, thank goodness.
When there’s a genuine focus on HR and the approach is aligned with the vision, values and strategy it quickly becomes a great source of value. When its a tick and flick function or just the enforcer rules, then it is just a cost. In this way, we firmly believe that the role of a HR leader is to drive value as a true organisational leader, coach and role model – and not simply someone who manages or administers the people function. The contemporary HR leader must be a creator of value through HR, strategic and commercial know-how, equally effective across operational and strategic matters, and genuinely relationship-focused across the school community.
Whether it is at the Executive or business partner level, we will provide you with the HR expert for your school. This can be for a fixed term, or ongoing part time basis that scales with your requirements. If your HR need becomes full-time, we can source your permanent resource and manage the handover and transition to ensure that it is a smooth, orderly and efficient process.
Realising the full value of your people couldn’t be easier.
Evolving Your People Function
Great people, culture, team and performance don’t just happen. We have developed the HR Map to help define the starting point with clients and the appropriate level of HR maturity they should aspire to, relative to their business maturity and strategy. In the HR Map we identify a number of milestones in the HR journey as we see them*.
*We acknowledge that the Bersin & Associates HR Maturity Model, 2011 was used as a reference point in the development of this framework.
We will meet you where your school is at right now and walk with you to the ideal state at a pace that aligns with your vision, values and strategy. The important thing is, we’re with you all the way – as little or as much as you want.
Why Choose Us?
We’re Specialists in People, Strategic Leadership and Performance in Education. Our Education team has worked in schools and we have an advisory board that includes some of Australia’s top education professionals.
There’s more reasons why you should talk to us…….
Our real-life experience means the solutions we deliver are right for you.
- We have developed a HR framework that can be used to discuss and understand your current state, and where you’d like to get to. We’ll offer you insights, challenge you and agree on the key requirements with you. We’ll then get to work, hand in hand with you, to design solutions that are founded on best practice and a strategic approach but importantly, are simple and right-sized. We’ll then drive the implementation for you, provide you with a HR expert with a style that’s right for your team, or coach your team throughout the journey.
Our approach means it is all about you, at all stages of your journey.
- Sometimes an organisation comes to the realisation that they require ‘proper’ HR skills a little too late. Let’s face it – a full time resource can seem unaffordable. Our options enable you to access HR expertise at the level and on a scale that matches your school’s current maturity. When we meet you, we’ll know what questions to ask and how to get you to where you need with greatest impact.
We’ll show you what’s possible beyond compliance and rules – start to realise all the benefits of getting the best out of your people.
- Whilst we’re happy to start with compliance, we run so much deeper than that. We’re passionate about the possibilities that are revealed once your business has got the people part right. Our passion should never be confused with ‘fluff’ – its the real, everyday stuff done consistently right combined with a clear strategy that enables people to evolve and align themselves with the business.
Passionate about you and delivering value in recruitment. Quite simply, we get it right.
- We are experienced in recruiting teaching and non-teaching positions. When recruiting Principals and senior leaders, we know how to spot the right behaviours and leadership style, in addition to the expertise.
We know you’ll feel our difference. We’re not interested in just making a quick placement – ever.
- Just like each client, when recruiting we appreciate that every candidate is unique. Our candidate process continues until we’re satisfied we really understand all of the things that make that person unique. We go well beyond the technical skill to everything that matters – such as what motivates that person to get out of bed each day, their aspirations and how to bring out their best.